Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Boston, Mass

Make Way For the Ducklings



In May, my mom and I went to Boston and the surrounding area for a week. I love going places to see the history. Boston’s big on history.

Caught in the Rain
















Holocaust Memorial - each pillar (six) represents 1 million Jews killed. Etched on glass are their numbers


Our first day we saw the sites in the city. We followed the Freedom Trail around the city for nine hours. It was cold and damp but it was fun. Needless to say, we were tired and our legs were close to giving out on us.


We Boston sweatshirts and ate mini Boston cream pies. We saw where Paul Revere lived and where he was buried. We saw the church where the lanterns were hung: “One if by land, two if by sea”. We walked through buildings that were over three hundred years old. We walked the decks of the USS Constitution – Old Iron Sides.


"One if by land, two if by sea"
Lanterns were hung in steeple


Paul Revere and John Hancock are buried here


Deaths dated 1661 and 1678



We visited Salem, where the witches were hung. We toured the House of 7 Gables made famous by Nathanial Hawthorne’s book.


House of Seven Gables


Witch House - only surviving house from the witch trials. A judge lived here



We learned the way of life of the pilgrims when they settled in Plymouth, landing on Plymouth Rock in 1640. Unfortunately, I didn’t see the famous rock. Construction was being done on the structure that protects the rock. Scaffolding and plywood blocked my view. It’s just a rock though, right? And who’s to say it was the exact rock that the pilgrim’s feet touched.

Mast of Mayflower II, a replica of the original Mayflower



Plimoth Plantation is a village that was built to model the time and the people working there spoke in the English of the time “just yester week I was speaking….”.

We toured the elite’s summer homes in Newport, RI. These houses were occupied by railroad tycoons and the like. Parties every night, one trying to out do the other. Homes such as The Breakers were only 70 rooms. Much smaller than the year round New York home that was about 150 rooms.

The Breakers owned by the Vanderbilt family



The best part was whale watching. We left from Provincetown and saw the most amazing things. To be in the presence of these mammoth creatures. To be RIGHT THERE while they fed. It was literally breathtaking. There is a feeling of peace and awe to be there. A feeling I hope to remember for years to come.










2 comments:

  1. Lo'
    I don't think I have seen these pictures! You looke great and the sights are beautiful!
    Do you have some printed? Did I see them and just don't remember because of my children? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an album I can show you! Remind me to bring them the next time I see you. We can lock the kids in the bathroom or the trunk of your car so they don't distract you. M-kay?

    ReplyDelete