Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Am I the only normal one or am I the only abnormal one?

One of the condo owners is frustrated because we have asked all the units to have a mandatory plumbing inspection in hopes that leaks can be found before they become a major issue costing thousands of dollars. This particular owner is known to go on a rampage and then backs off for several months. Sometimes it's quite entertaining. The thing that I’ve observed is that everyone gets defensive, reacts to her tone and then doesn’t work with her. I’ve learned she’s the type that you have to read between the lines with. You have to listen to her words rather than her tone.

In her letter, she throws in some threat of contacting her attorney, something random about the maintenance man’s salary and “the Board doing just what it wants and, particularly [the president]”

There are a handful of unit owners who simply don’t care for the current president… and more and more, I’m not caring for her much either. She’s gossipy and then plays this innocent role or the sick role or the I’m-just-a-sweet-little-old-women role.

The manager sent the board members a copy of the letter she wanted to send back to this woman in response. I was pretty much appalled by the lack of professionalism not to mention all the typos. This is a reoccurring issue that I have no tolerance for.

In my limited experience and in my education I’ve learned that you don’t respond to an “irate” customer by basically saying they don’t make any sense (even if they don’t). Things like:



“Your comment of conflict of interest makes not sense and I have no idea what
you are referring to.”


“I have communicated with you in the past and will again now regarding
[maintenance man’s] salary. I have no idea how you know what [maintenance
man’s] salary is. Please inform me. What do you think a full time
maintenance person, completing the daily tasks that [maintenance man] does,
should be paid? What legal activity has taken place? What laws are
being broken? I am at a loss as to what you are referencing.”


“What reason would you hire an attorney?”

“What has [president] done that you have an issue with?”

“I am afraid I have many more questions for you that you have for me. If
you would like to elaborate, I can possibly assist you with answers.”

It put me off and I wasn’t the one who would ultimately be on the receiving end of it. She sounded paranoid and unprofessional. So, I made major changes (as the manager is representing us, I will not look foolish!). I was very proud of the end result following this introduction to the attachment:

I “niced” it up a bit. One thing, I would is not even acknowledge her
comment about [president] as it’s obviously some personal issue and I wouldn’t
feed it. I also think asking “what legal actions” or “what laws are being
broken” etc. is unnecessary. I believe they are somewhat empty threats as
she obviously doesn’t have anything to go on. They are just something she
thinks will scare you… for whatever reason. Anyway, that’s my take on
it. Just stick with the facts and not feed her a bunch of questions.
If it continues, you could ask her for some documentation of her concerns. –
Laura

The Looney Tune president responds:


Laura: If [homeowner] has an issue with me, I really don't know what it
could be. I've never personally met her, nor have we ever had any real
personal contact.. The only time I've had any contact with her was when
she came to a board meeting, I called on her and she screamed and hollered
and when [manager] tried to explain things to her, she got up and walked
out. I'm getting the feeling that you think I've had something to do with
all this. I have never had a personal grudge against anyone and even when
they have attacked me personally, I have not responded. It would have put
me at their level. I have talked to and recorded telephone messages from some
residents who have used terrible foul language on me. I have told them
that I would be happy to discuss things with them when they could talk to me
civilly and not swear at me. There is a difference between swearing and
swearing at me and calling me filthy names. I do not have to listen to
that sort of thing, nor do [manager], [maintenance], [company]. No one
does.

WHAT? Did I miss something? I take a deep breath, trying not to call her names and respond:


Dumbarse (okay, not really), you’ve misunderstood. If you reread what I
wrote it says “I would is not even acknowledge her comment about [president] as
it’s obviously some personal issue and I wouldn’t feed it”. How you
interpreted that to mean I think you have something to do with “this” is beyond
me. The personal issues I referred to are [homeowner’s] obvious personal
issues and is taking them out on you… for whatever reason. My opinion is
that feeding into those is just encouragement.

And she comes up the usual:


Sorry, Dear. I did misunderstand. I'm not feeling too sharp and
conseqently seem to take things wrong.

I hate being called “Dear”. And being on the board may drive me to drink heavily.

No comments:

Post a Comment