Friday, October 31, 2008

Makin' lather


After a million hours of researching online different recipes, techniques, additives, this and that, etc. I made shampoo bars.
It started with my hunt for stinging nettle. I've learned more about nettle than I care to know but it was also very educational. It adds to my odd extensive knowledge of random subjects... like the Amish. We'll get into that another day.
So, to make sure I found nettle I had to go on various walks through different wooded areas. And to make sure I had the right stuff, I had to touch it to see if it would make the stinging itchy feeling it's known for. As I'm roaming these wooded areas and touching several different weeds I thought to myself, "self, you don't know what poision oak or poison ivy look like". Thankfully, I didn't touch any. I finally found some nettle and picked it. Yes, it stung and itched like a mo f0.

Next, mixing the lie. It got to be about 175 degrees. I tried taking a picture in the pitcher but the heat steamed up the lens.
















Mixed the oils (coconut, olive and castor)

Then stirred and stirred and stirred... for an hour until it started to thicken up. I added the essential oils and dried nettle leaves then poured it in the molds.



After 24 hours in the molds with towels laying over them for insulation I checked to see if the mixture was hardening. I was convinced I had failed. BUT, it was hard and it was still hot - good! Another 24 hours and I removed it from the molds (I used a cardboard milk carton) and sliced it. Now it will cure for about 6 weeks. I'm excited!












1 comment:

  1. it looks so pretty!
    I am liking the thought, sister. Oh, maybe I could purchase a bar?

    ReplyDelete