Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The world traveler returns

My sister has gotten to travel this year with her senior Art class to Paris and Barcelona and then with her Japanese class to Japan.
On Monday she came home from two weeks in Japan. She had a blast! She showed pictures and the video she took. I loved the video of her learning a tea ceremony taught to her by her host family. Her host mother and father had a great sense of humor and showed her many things. Her "host girl" (17) spoke great english. Her host boy (13)and the grandmother didn't speak english.

This is an e-mail she was able to send after only being there a week.




Konnichiwa, I am writing from the land of the rising sun.
Japan (nihon) is very, very different. It is not rude to slurp your food, and you have to take a shower before you take a bath (ofurou). Everything is opposite, even for their blind people. Our blind people use their hands to see things. Apparently Japan's blind people use their feet because everywhere you go there are ridges and bumps on the walkways so blind people know where to walk and stop. Not a bad idea acutally. Some of the weird and interesting things I have done so far include: Being smushed into a subway car during rush hour. Playing a DJ game in an arcade. Wearing a yukata and setting off fireworks (hanabi). And making apple (ringo) rabbits (usagi). I went to the yokkozuno zoo yesterday. My host girl Yuu said it was very small (chisai), but turned out to be very large (ooki). Today we went to Universal Studios Japan, which was super fun (tanoshii). My host girl is Yuu, who is super freaking cute (kawaii), her whole room is pink, and she screamed bloody murder on every ride we went on.
Thats all I have for now, so unless I can get on another computer some other time then I'll talk to you later (jaane).
Libby

She said her host family cried when she had to leave. Awww!

1 comment:

  1. libby needs a blog. because she is super freaking cute (adorable).

    ReplyDelete