Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Another meeting from the 'Twilight Zone'

My condo association had its annual meeting on Monday night. The main purpose of the meeting is to vote new officers on the board. This year two positions were up for election (I will try to make this the short version) . There were four people who nominated themselves. One got elected with a more than half the votes. Another only had 15 votes. The other two had 41 and 53 votes. The problem is that the ballots were counted four times and a different number came up each time.

While the counting and recounting is going on “S” (who is running for the board) comes up to me, “how was your vacation”? I tell her it was great, really relaxing. She sits down next to me and in a low voice says, “do you remember that meeting we had?” I remembered. “So, what happened? Hmmm?” She was staring me down completely trying to intimidate me. Apparently she was under the impression that I was going to collect all the proxy votes and make sure the votes went to her. I told her that wasn’t what I said I’d do. She said, “oh, you’re going to renege?” What’s to renege? I didn’t say that. “Are you denying you said that?” Uh, yeah. “Oh. Huh. I see,” she says with a real condescending tone. “’B’ is my witness, she heard you say you‘d promise; no problem”. Of course “B” wasn’t standing beside her supporting her. I would never make a promise to rig the voting. She must have taken the wrong medication that day.
So, she gets up trying to give me the impression that I completely betrayed her, lied to her, stabbed her in the back. What kind of adult (she’s in her mid 50’) behaves this way? As she walks away I salute her (I know, what kind of adult behaves that way?!) Her buddy “B” is looking at me, tight lipped. I shake my head at her and roll my eyes. I was completely put off by the both of them and couldn’t care less what they thought of me. Screw her.
Luckily she didn’t win the second position.
Now, the one who came out on top the board was really excited about. He has a background in accounting and we really need someone in the Treasurer’s position who knows their stuff. I congratulate him and casually ask him if there is a particular position he is interested in (we decide at the next meeting who is going to be in which position). I’m the president and don’t like the position. It comes with a lot of stress. But, do I want anyone else in the position? I thought I didn’t mind until the new member said he’d like to be President. I actually laughed because I thought he was kidding. He wasn’t. So I said, sure, why not. We’ll talk about it at the next meeting and take a vote. He made some comments to another board member about how he could “oversee” the treasurer’s position as president. He said, “in order to get the things done that I want done, I need to be in a higher position.” Wha?
The other board members and I agree that a person’s first year on the board shouldn’t be in the position of the president’s position. We also all agree that there are some red flags with that comment. Especially since “S” was whispering to him all night.
To be continued… this could get good.

No comments:

Post a Comment