Saturday, July 16, 2011

Road kill

I am very sensitive to animals.  I'm pretty sure they can talk (thanks to Disney), they have families and they are just trying to survive and provide.

I hate when I kill one with my vehicle.

First it was a raccoon... back in '90.  I was late getting home (curfew you know) and speeding my way east on 494, only a couple other cars on the road at 1 a.m. ( I was going to be soooo late!).  Suddenly, this fat raccoon starts waddling across the freeway.  Seriously?  Who does that?

No time to break.  BAM!  Tagged the sucker.  Thumpa-thump.  I run over him going 60 mph.  I look at the rear view mirror and he's still bouncing from the impact.  Jeez.

Flash forward about 20 years.  I'm running late for work one morning (yes, I tend to run on the late side of things).  Stupid squirrel!  It darts out, runs back, freezes, darts out again.  BAM!  Hit him going 30 mph on a side road.  The rear view mirror reveals a spastically twitching tail.  Ugh.

Now today, the cruise set at 72 mph, PING!  A flippin' bird, enjoying his morning flight, dippin' and swayin', wind in his feathers... tags the frame on the side of the windshield (thankfully no blood, no feathers).  Looking in the rear view mirror, the collision gave him another five feet of air but sadly he crashed.  Oh-no.

Thankfully I'm not partial to insects because I'd be a mess driving with all the bug juice on the windshield.

No comments:

Post a Comment