Sunday, August 22, 2010

Procrastination with a capital 'P'

 
 The "easy" part was puting the acutal sink in.  I replaced the drain as well.  After the drain was installed I realized I couldn't get the old faucet off so I bought another.  Come to find out it included a drain piece as well.  Too late.  Oh well.  I replaced the valve hoses - another easy step.
When I go to turn the water valves back on the hot leaks - drip.. drip... drip... dripdripdripdrip...  What else leaks?  The p joint.  I take it off, put more tape on, put it on, tighten it to an inch of it's life.  Turn on the water (cold of course) and it leaks.  I repeat the above steps several times.  I'm not giving up on this bad boy.
I'm cramped up under the sink and I'm tired of the smell of pipes and the things that are in pipes.
Long story short, I put off calling someone because I CAN DO THIS!  After a month... yes, you read right (but it gets better so hold on) I give it another go.  Good grief.  How hard can this be?  I finally do a thoughrough inspection and see that the rubber washer are dried up and peterfied.  The crumble as I pry them out.  Ahhh, now we're getting somewhere.  I spend the $1.18 at the hardware store to replace the washers and  AHHHHH (heavenly music plays from above) no leaks!   I don't trust it so I leave the bucket underneath the sink and obsessively check it for the next month (yes, your addition is correct.  We are at two months now and the hot water valve is still kaput).
At this point, who cares when the hot water valve is fixed.  So I give it another go but still nothing.  That thing is set on leaking. Stubborn.
Let's speed up to last Thursday when I finally make "that" call.  It's the call that says, "I'm no flippin' plumber and I better quit actin' like one."
I have hot water pouring from my bathroom sink faucet... four months later.  I hardly know what to do with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment