Friday, August 20, 2010

The Adirondacks - Upstate New York

I've been back form my trip to the Adirondacks for a week now.

It wasn't one of my usual trips.  It was much slower paced but we still did a lot and saw a lot.  It was hot and muggy and I think I only peed twice a day because of how much I was sweating.

The first night there we rode into town on a buggy.  I'm not sure how fun it was because I was so concerned with the horses (Harley) ability to take us down the hills.  It's a lot of work for the lil' buggers.

The first night I was introduced to Stewarts ice cream and I became a mild addict.  The little stores sell them by the cone and they're everywhere!  There was no going wrong with all the flavors.  I had plenty of Adirondack Bear Paw, Death by Chocolate and Chocolate Raspberry Ripple

We went on a couple small hikes that were in the "backyard".  Both lead to pretty great views.


One day we met up with my brother's ex whom we were all pretty close to.  I loved seeing her and it just reminded me how much I love her and miss her.  She's doing really well and I'm really happy for her.

My dad and I went to tour Fort Ticonderoga which I'm embarrassed to say I knew nothing about but was a huge part of US history.  I loved going there and having my dad to myself.  We ate at the Hot Biscuit Diner on the way home and he had a "pretty good" hamburger for only the second time since his heart attack in December... he followed that up with another hamburger three days later.

One evening we enjoyed strolling through the Essex County Fair.  Very small.  Great people watching.  Limited food selection but the there is a riding lawn mower pulling competition.
There was some trick the the leaning that made them go a little further.

We climbed to the top of Mount Jo one day.  I was quite a hike and the view was incredible.  As was the view from the top of Whiteface Mountain (missing the $18/ea gondola ride to the top we paid $22 for all of us to drive to the top and take an elevator up to the summit that is inside the mountain).  I couldn't stop looking at the view of Lake Placid.

Zelda's a mountain climber too.  12 yrs old and practically ran up the whole thing!

My dad bestowed unto me his 40 year old bandanna

And in the end, I got on a horse and rode it bareback around the pen thingy (I believe that is the correct term but don't quote me).  I have been terrified of horses since I was about nine.  Although I'm hating that I look like a blob of fat sitting on a horse, I was quite impressed with myself for doing it and not crapping my pants in the process.

My dad entertained himself while I rode.  He may or may not be singing.
On the way to the airport home we stopped and had lunch at Betty Beaver's Truck Stop and when I got home I reactivated my gym membership.

No comments:

Post a Comment