Monday, July 26, 2010

Is it alright to say my God is like a good dog?

Excerpt I love from Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert

Chapter 3
Let me first explain why I use the word God, when I could just as easily use the words Jehovah, Allah, Shiva, Brahma, Vishnu or Zeus.  Alternatively, I could call God "That," which is how the ancient Sanskrit scriptures say it, and which I think comes close to the all-inclusive  and unspeakable entity I have sometimes experienced.  But that "That" feels impersonal to me - a thing, not a being - and I myself cannot pray to a That.

In the end, what I have come to believe about God is simple.  It's like this - I used to have this really great dog.  She came from the pound.  She was a mixture of about ten different breeds, but seemed to have inherited the finest features of them all.  She was brown.  When people asked me, "What kind of dog is that?"  I would always give the same answer:  "She's a brown dog."  Similarly, when the question is raised,
"What kind of God do you believe in?" my answer is easy: "I believe in a magnificent God."

No comments:

Post a Comment