Friday, April 30, 2010

Run, Fat Girl, Run

Starting today I'm going to attempt to run again.
In the spring of 2004, I ran for three months, challenging myself every step of the way.  I lost weight and felt good.  Then one day I ran and I just became thoroughly exhausted only five minutes in.  I was horribly fatigued for several weeks.  I stopped - for good.  Turns out it was my thyroid levels that were out of whack.  By the time I got them back to where they should be I lost interest in running.  I was afraid of getting that intense fatigued feeling again.
All these years I've talked about starting again but, well, I was lazy.  Now that I've been working out consistently for the past six weeks or so, I'm feeling stronger and motivated.  I'm ready to add to my workout.
Thanks to Laurie's blog I'm determined to start again.  Also on her blog I found a link to another blog and according to this schedule, I'm going to work my butt off - quite literally.
Tonight I started on the treadmill at the gym.  Booooring!  I knew I didn't like running on a treadmill but it was late and dark out and it was my only option (other than putting it off another day).  So, I will definitely be taking this to the great outdoors.
After my run/walk, I stopped at Kohl's and bought a new sports bra, socks and workout shorts.  I will need to buy new running shoes but what I have now will due for a couple weeks.
Wish me luck!
Now I have to work on my playlist...

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting back to running. I recommend that you use www.dailymile.com to track your distance. Makes that part LOADS easier. Actively yours has great prices on the Moving Comfort and Daylight Bras (that I adore). http://www.activelyyours.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=AY/CTGY/brasand please, please go to a running store and have the people there custom fit you for shoes. Your feet will thank you! Looks like Runners Gate might be a good place to visit for shoes and group runs (much safer). Good Luck, and happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the new background!

    way to go. run your ass off. i've heard good things about shoes from Start Line over by Eddington's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start Line is where I bought my last running shoes :) I plan on going there for my new pair. Then maybe on to Eddingtons for Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese soup and bread sticks... oh, maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and a turkey wrap, please! i'll meet you there :) hubbinator is done with school in 2 weeks. that gives me 3 weeks of mon/thurs nights open for some soup...if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete