Tuesday, December 2, 2008

People and books

I do most of my reading at work during my breaks and lunch and then right before bed.

I'm very good at tuning people out while I'm reading. So much so that most of the time I don't know when someone is talking to me. I like this about books. I like that a good book can completely take over my being and remove me from reality.

People are funny about books. People that don't read a lot, that is. When I start a new book a guy at work asks if it's a drama or a comedy. Is it a true story? If it's fiction he refers to it as "fantasy". He wants to know what the book is about as if I would be telling him the plot of a movie. We do this week after week, book after book.

Another guy tells me that he doesn't read much... occasionally he does... he's reading a book by so-and-so now and it's really well written. It's about a girl who gets done with high school and is now going to college and then... she's just gone. He's only on page 75 and they're talking to her parents now. But it's really well written, the way the author writes. The library didn't have it... he bought it... his wife had a $25 gift card. So anyway...

Another guy just asks what I'm reading and no matter what I'm reading asks if I've read the latest Dean Koontz book. I love Dean Koontz and so the conversation leads to that. The same topics, every time.

Reading at work is a great way to tune others out but it also invites some odd conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment