Sunday, April 23, 2006

Soul for sale

This is what online dating is narrowed down to (IMO).

About a month ago I registered on eHarmony just out of curiosity. My stepsister met her fiance there last fall. So, I thought what the heck!

eHarmony is advertised as the place to find your "soul mate".

Instantly I wasn't impressed... what-so-ever. I can see the concept, "finding love from the inside out". But I'm not sold.

I've gotten a lot of matches but not a single one that I'm excited about. Yes, I want to love someone from "the inside out" but goodness, I have to want to look at them, right? Okay, they're not all fugly, just not attractive to me.

Then the other stupid part it answering open ended questions. This is no way to learn about someone. We can go about that all day long and it won't attract me to someone more or less. You go through this process of communication:

1. Open ended questions. You select five multiple choice questions for your match to answer then they do the same.

2. You open you profile further. Your match can now read your "Must haves and can't haves" Basically deal breakers.

3. You select three "essay" questions for your match to answer.

4. Open communication. You and your match e-mail within the site.

It's a waiting game. Will they respond? Will I get to the next level of communication? Is my soul a match for theirs? I pretty much am not feeling it.

Another thing I noticed is a lot of men want someone who is "physically active" or "enjoys working out" or "is really attractive". Really? This coming from some buttmunch sitting on a Harley wearing leather pants and a receding hairline and a double chin.


Yeah, I don't think I'm going to meet my love on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment